Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

We have a 1993 Fuel injection MX5 The car turns over and

We have a 1993 Fuel injection MX5 The car turns over and wants to start but fires and dies. Can you help us, could it be the immobiliser?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: The engine sounds the same when it is turning over but just wont stay running, it seems to take but then dies straight away
JA: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Don't know where to start. Can't get it to a garage as it wont run
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

When you switch ON the ignition is there a red warning light shaped like a car with a key in the middle

ON or flashing .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg, no there is no warning light showing. The car hasn't been used for awhile, but my husband starts it and keeps the battery charged up. This started suddenly, one day he went to start it and he turned the key after the engine turned over a few times the motor took but died, it did not idle for more than about 2 seconds

Okay normally when you have a start then stall its point towards the immobilizer system .

First i need to know if this engine is fuel injected or Carburetor.

And if an aftermarket alarm system is fitted .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is 1.6or fuel injection. I don't know if the Immobilizer was retro fitted or factory installed. How would I find out
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry that should be 1.6 liter

Post a photo of the keyfob (remote)

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will do that this evening thanks

Good will keep an eye open for you .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg it is a Cobra system. I's not sure it if was factory fitted. The fob has to be touched to a point on the steering column. It certainly looks like it was done professionally
Wendy

Okay good aftermarket .now not sure on this model but when armed a red light should flash ans when

you stick in the pin the red light should stop flashing and let you start the engine .

Greg

Okay the touch key you are using is a override system you should also have a key fob.

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There so only an ordinary key for the car. It does not have a remote fob for it. 1) Can the touch key be by passed to check if this is the problem 2) Could it possibly be the fuel pump?

Normally it comes with a key fob and if the key fob should fail you have this stick.

You are better off having it removed ,

Spray carb cleaner down the throttle body when cranking over the engine if starts

problem is fuel delivery . Sorry did not get to you sooner had a few days cleaning up after the hurricane.

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Greg will give it a try

Let me know how it goes .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't i will opt out so another expert can.
We want you to be happy with an answer and help you with your problem . Want you to be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..