UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My hood will not latch tightly, The hood is up now, I'm

Customer Question
My hood will not...

My hood will not latch tightly

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?

The hood is up now, I'm going to have my husband check that.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

2006 IS250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried shutting it repeatedly. No thunk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The cable has no play in it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
9/9/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the hood is most likely closing to the secondary latch but not the primary. If that's the case then the problem is most likely either the latch or the cable is stuck.

It sounds like you've checked the hood release handle and the cable is fully retracted on it's own?

Since we needed a fast response, we tried to cancel this interaction, which indicated a technician was standing by to respond, only to discover we would have to wait up to 24 hours for a response. To me, this is bait and switch. We already determined it is a latch problem, and have the part ordered. Please do NOT charge my credit card.

I'm glad you got it diagnosed.