UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Had a major service, Car struggle to start, no power, idle

Hi had a major service...
Hi had a major service, Car struggle to start, no power, idle smooth, but no power. problem seems to go away when warm.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Sorry Micra 2006 1.4 consistent power loss
JA: Are you fixing your Micra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had it at the dealer for service and this is the result. Asked an opinion - timing chain suspected.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The engine warning light came on before service - reason it went in. The claimed cam sensor, this was replaced 1 year ago.
Micra 1.4 230 000km, engine warning light came on. Failed to start once a week. Suspected electrical problem maybe fuel pump cutting out.
Took it for service to dealer, indicated warning was on cam/crank sensor, was replaced 1 year ago.
Now struggle to start with every turn, different from before. When start car has no power, idle smooth, but only has power at higher revs. When engine warm 15min run, problem is gone. If it was an older car with points I would have said spark plugs or vacuum, but plugs were replaced in service.
8/18/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did they replace the cam or crank sensor again since a fault code set for it acting up?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

No they did not. I did not have the 100 pound it would cost to replace.
You cannot call me it is an international call

O.k.,even though the cam/crank sensor was replaced a year ago there is a good chance it has failed again.IN some cases a part can fail sooner then it should and a faulty cam/crank sensor will cause the fault you are seeing here.I would have this sensor assembly replaced or sensors to correct the code and this should correct the fault that is occuring as well.In most cases it is the crank sensor that causes this fault.

In some other cases a restricted fuel filter can also cause this issue with it needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Thanks Pete
My opinion is a part that fails in a year is a faulty part and should be replaced without cost. The previous sensor was good for 10 years! I don't have that kind of money, so will park the car and forget about it till I have.
Regards

Usually parts are covered for a year but it has to be within 1 years time.I would ask to see if it is covered under parts warranty possibly.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli