UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Garage is saying that the skidding car light that has come…

Garage is saying that...

Garage is saying that the skidding car light that has come up on my dash is related to the brake preasure sensor circuit failure. They are quoting 1650 including labout to fix. I cant get through mot with light on the dash appearantly? any thoughts would be appreciated..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No. when garage plugged it in they said it was logging it as a genuiine fault? are you saying it could be just a fault on the dash?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2008 c/max deisal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. car went in for MOT and service on saturday. I have just spoken to them this morning. they said it was bad news...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so.

8/14/2017
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

Normally the fault you describe is within the ABS Pump Module as this is where the pressure sensor is housed..they are quite common for failure and resulted in fitting the modified unit..these can be reconditioned so its well worth looking into that or search for companies online that can help with that..but it will require the module to be removed which means the car will be undriveable,no brakes until as such the unit is returned..

Try this website here

Hope this helps..

Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Will the removal and replacement have to be done by a mechanic? or is it a simple unplug and plug back in type job?
does £1600 including the labour and vat sound a normal price? I cant bring myself to spend that much on a car that in all respects seems to be running fine. how bad is it to drive the car with this light on?

You need to remove the ABS pump/module..your brake master cylinder feeds the ABS pump..which in turn the ABS pump feeds all 4 wheels and monitors each wheel via the speed sensors..the pressure sensor itself is within the ABS pump/module..so it cant be removed on its own..so obviously a mechanic would need to get the pump out for it to be sent off..either mobile tech/mechanic or the garage you use....The £1600 does sound indeed correct thats because it likely the modified unit and likely direct from Ford too plus the fitting/programming ontop...with the one you have on the car already it wont need programmed after repair usually,so it makes sense based on the age of the car to look into getting reconditioned..unless you know someone locally who can do it.but the website is gave you is about the most popular place and i have even used them myself without any problems..so well worth chatting to them or even your garage enquire with them...Its not nessesarily unsafe to drive the car..its just means you wont have stability control nor abs function,plus it wont pass the MOT either because the tester needs to see that the warning comes on at ignition / self tests / and goes out on start up...until as such the fault has been recifited that warning will stay on..

Thanks Robert. I d trust my garage but when the cost is that high then a second opinion is required. I will go back to garage and go from there.