UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2008 calais v l98 v8 is having a few problems 2 days

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** calais v l98 v8 is having a few problems 2 days ago,the esp will turn its self off then the engine light comes on and it runs really rough,now the check engine light is on as soon as i try start it and the esp turns off as soon as i start it as well,it is now running really rough at idle and when i try and accelerate it doesnt speed up,and then again sometime when i put my foot down it will be going up very slow then just launch its self to full speed and then back off and sit at a steady speed then all of a sudden it starts running rough again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Calais yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive taken it to a holden and had a scan tool done and they said one bank was missfiring,because i also had a problem with my maf sensor having low voltage,i also told them it has a mafless tune so essentially it is disconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that was it tanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
8/6/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Lee,

You need to have a scan of the ECM for codes asap.

I have seen v8s suffer from injectors stuck open.

Can you get a scan please?

The esp off is because of the misfire.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok no worries I'll get it done tomorrow

Ok Lee.

I'll be here when you have some more info.

Try not to drive it too much for now.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi mate I've had my car scanned and I got these codes p0202,p0204,p0206,p0208 all mean injector circuit malfunction for cylinders 2,4,6,8,its kind of strange because two days ago I disconnected the battery for a whole night and then connected it the following morning and it ran fine for two days with out a fault then today I started it up and straight away it started playing up

Hi Lee,

That is unusual.

Can you check the fuses for injectors in the engine bay fusebox?

2 x 20A yellow fuses.

You could have a harness or computer issue.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok fuses are ok but there is a problem with either the computer or harness,I've pulled the computer out and used some electrical cleaner on all the plugs that go to the computer and the computer it's self put it all back together last night and is running fine at the moment.its hard to tell if it is the computer or wiring as when it was playing up I was also wiggling wires around and pushing on the conections from the computer and it would run fine as soon as I stopped pushing it would run rough again

HI Lee,

I've had a VE V8 that had broken wires near the computer after a minor car accident.

Sounds like you have a broken wire in that area, the common 12v to one side of each injector for bank 2.

I would untape the harness in that area, and keep manipulating the harness.

Hopefully you find a break.

The one I mentioned, I fixed 6 broken wires that were blowing fuses etc.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help Gary as soon as I get home from work I'll have a bit more of a look into it today

You're welcome Lee.

I feel you wlll find something in the harness.

Best of luck for today.

Gary