UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My vw R5 engine currently runs slow, lose power while

Customer Question
My vw R5 engine...

My vw R5 engine currently runs slow, lose power while driving, Pls help me out

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic drive

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2005 model, vw touareg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?

Visited the workshop, I have had the fuel pump changed , but still same results

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Really want my car to perform better as it use to

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
7/31/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

when you experience the power loss do you get any check engine light flashing on come on? as this would mean a fault code can be provided to help with diagnosis however I'm assuming that this is the turbodiesel R5 engine so

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you