UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My power steering is not working at all (for 2 weeks now) it…

Customer Question
Hi there, my power...

Hi there, my power steering is not working at all (for 2 weeks now) it stopped pretty much after I got the car washed incidentally, it's a 2003 Mercedes A140, thanks in advance

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I checked the fluid myself (unqualified in mechanical issues) Yes the occasional whine coming from the left hand side of car (looking from drivers seat) but not all the time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?

A class A140

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not really fixing it myself, just seeing if it's a small job them I could possibly do it myself. I've tried the calibration (locking the steering wheel to the left then to the right then center

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope just that thank you

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
7/29/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

So there is a whine comming from the pump ? and its full of fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, not sure where the noise is coming from exactly, but the noise is not always present. Yes it's full of fluid

Sounds like you have a steering pump going out, you can take the lines off at the rack and connect them together to see if it is a pump or rack, sometimes the rack will have a internal failure and cause a blockage making you think the pump is bad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Shawn. So if it is the pump then I should just replace. It's nothing to do with bad/wet electrics? (since washing the car as mentioned) About 6 months ago the car suddenly went into limp mode and the power steering went then too, I replaced the brake light switch and calibrated the power steering (left lock, right lock) and it has worked fine until this issue, just wondering if it's related. The rack sounds like it's a much bigger problem (if it is that)

looking into that right now

Im not able to find any information in my system about the electronics on that ill have to open this up to the other mechanics to see if they have the diagram

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem, thanks Shawn