Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I just bought a 2003 A4 convertable, it was running fine but

Customer Question

Hi, I just bought a 2003 A4 convertable, it was running fine but after a couple of hours I t felt like it was loosing a bit of power. A car behind me flashed me over and said they could see red hot embers coming from under my car. I had a look under and the exhausts were glowing red hot. The engine management light also was flashing on and off
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: I thing it was the engine mangement light, not sure if it was staying on
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, just thought that I would get some info from the net first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: One more thing I need help. When I try to open the roof the fron won't unlatch, I can hear a motor noise but it won't open
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just went and started the car. To begin with the engine management light stayed on for a couple of seconds then it started flashing again, the car wasn't idling properly and a few plugging sounds from the exhaust ( roughly fro under the front seats area.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi im kevin it sounds very much as though the exhaust is blocked causing a hugh amount of back pressure and heat to build up .this in turn will cause rough running to occur

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah I think you are right, I just spoke to a friend and he thinks it would be the cats have broken. Can you help me with my roof problem?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

the first thing you would need to do is check fluid level on pump .this is tricky as its located in the trunk on right hand side below cubby hole .the carpet liner needs to be removed to access and it a pain to get out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My roof just won't open, when I push the button I can hear the motor above the windscreen but nothing is happening, the windows go down but that's it
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Everything else is run from the hydralics .the motor runs when button is depressed ,this inturn opens and closes valves in the valvebody attached to the pump .if the fluid is low the pump will run but because flyid is low there is no pressure to get roof to react .the valve bodys are attached to pump and aren't uncommon to leak

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The guy I bought the car from said he had checked the fluid, I kind of believe him as he never put the carpet back
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Oh ok .the next step would be to read fault codes from roof control module .there are around 15 micro position switches that have to be in the correct position for roof to work .the audi system is very good at quickly registering faults

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will I need to go to a garage to get the codes or can it be done another way. And will it do any damage if I drive the car until I get a exhaust
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you continue to drive car it could catch fire worst case as the exhaust gets too hot .eventually if exhaust blocks enough car wont run .and the roof fault will require a diagnostic tool capable of communicating with roof module

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I buy a diagnostics thug or will I have to go to a specialist, I would rather buy a diagnostic thing but I would not know what I was looking for
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Vag com is the best tool to buy for your vehicle as it is software and a lead that you load onto a laptop

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would that cover the roof as well
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

It would yes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This might be a sill one, my car is a auto can it be set up with paddle shift on the steering wheel
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually forget that I can image it would cost more than the car is worth
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

It can been done you woukd need to buy paddles and there is a loom that needs to be changed and the transmission ecu recoded .not straight forward but could be done

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service