Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have been advised that I can use a 5amp fuse in place of a

Customer Question

Hi I have been advised that I can use a 5amp fuse in place of a 3 amp fuse without any problems is this correct?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No I don't have a wiring diagram all the fuses are OK I need to plug into the cigarette lighter to operate a small medical machine. It plugs direct to the cig lighter.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 Toyota Hi Lux
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only plugged the device into the cig lighter and it only operated intermintently however there was still power to the machine it is a sleep machine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

That would be a bad idea, if it comes with a 3 amp fuse its there for a reason, if your trying to power something separate that keeps blowing fuses I would suggest and power inverter or just a inline socket thats fuse protected and can be run to the battery for extra power.