Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Got a vivaro 2.0 cdti won't start. Have checked better

Customer Question

Got a vivaro 2.0 cdti won't start. Have checked better 12.6v, checked all fuses. Rocked van in 3rd gear. When key turns I think I hear a click but engine doesn't turn over
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Can turn wheel and tried 2 keys. Same result
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Vauxhall vivaro 2.0 cdti
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Tried rolling car in 3rd gear. Checked fuses, checked battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Faint clicking from engine bay, maybe relay but engine doesn't turn over
Expert:  Matt replied 6 days ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch / pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch / starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. Will try these checks
Expert:  Matt replied 6 days ago.

no problem

just get back to me on this post