Technopro
Technopro, Aussie+Euro+Korean+Japanese Technician
Experience:  Automotive Engineer, Qualified Mitsubishi Tech, Certified NZ Inspector
13063098

I need to know where the gearbox selector switch is located

Hi , I need to know where the gearbox selector switch is located on a bmw 335d e92
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your BMW 335d. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Yes the car won't go up and down the gearbox in drive or Manual mode ...

Hello and welcome to JA.

My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you to the best of my knowledge and ability. First thing, can I confirm that your vehicle is not getting any upshift or downshift from either the manual mode or the auto?

Is the vehicle locked in third gear or failsafe mode?

If you give me the full vin number, I can look up the parts details and post relevant info for you vehicle. The more info you give me here, the better I can get the info for you.

looking forward to working with you to resolve your issue.

Regards

Mel

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the vehicle is not getting upshift or down shift from manual mode and auto mode ... it has not gone into fail safe mode and it is not stuck in 3rd gear .... I've run a scan tool on it and it's showing code 5088 which says gearbox selector switch ... also showing code 5087 which says hardware, inputs, one touch function the vin number is ***** look forward to your reply thanks

Hello, thanks for the info you supplied. I have looked up the parts catalogue for your car and the switch is actually integrated in the gear lever assembly.

I also did a bit of research and found that this code relates to the non communication of info to the module and most of the time the wires at the switch are damaged due to excessive stress when the lever is activated.

If you are confident in removing your gear lever assembly or going inside to check the wiring, then I will say that you can follow the link to a video posted by one of our members on how he accessed his damaged wiring loom.

However he has an E90 but the E92 has a slight difference on the trim and also the lever mechanism assembly but you will surely find the wiring to the lever.

Good luck with that and let me know how you go about this.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQysOv1MqbE

this is the link to the video tutorial. The part number for the lever assembly is :***********/p>

Cheers

Hello, just a quick message to see how you are going with your issue. Do you still require further assistance?

Regards

Mel

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi stripped it all down and followed the wiring, and there is no brakes in the wires so really stumped now on what's happened... I'm convinced it's electrical due to the symptoms... I could buy a complete gear shifter, but that might not solve the problem and I don't want to start wasting money on it ..

Hello there,

As you concluded, it is definitely electric. How did you test the wires to know if there was no breakage in them? Sometimes wires look alright on the outside but the conductors inside are broken or frayed. Best way is to use a multimeter and try to get to the other side of the loom(which can be a challenge inside the switch) and test each wire for continuity. Since you have it all stripped, better be on the safe side and do the maximum check you can.

Let me know how this continuity test work out for you.

Cheers

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi checked it all with electrical tester ... and the switch is completely gone, checked for power on both wiring looms which is connected to the switch and nothing coming through ... there doesn't seem to be any break in the lines so I think the circuit board is knackered . Would you know if there is a fuse For the gearbox ?