Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Renault Espace Mk3 2002. Single button key fob. Cannot

Renault Espace Mk3 2002. Single button key fob. Cannot lock/unlock the doors. Changed batteries on key fob. Tried to reset the code by holding the internal lock button for >5 seconds. Doors lock then unlock but pressing the fob key button does nothing. Light on key fob flashes. After a while the remote locking resets itself but key fob will not work. Only have 1 fob and don't want to spend > £150 to get a replacement from renault if it is not the key fob at fault.
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: Sorry what is a hard reset.
JA: What is the model of your '02 Renault?
Customer: Espace Authentique 2.0 automatic.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes looking at it myself at the moment. Just tried the repairing of the key to the vehicle, which did not work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that key was working fine then stopped working. Changed batteries as a precaution but key still will not unlock the central locking. Key starts engine just cant lock the car.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

Please try the following .

Sit in car all doors closed .

Press on the vehicles door lock switch to lock and hold for 5 seconds. (Doors will lock then unlock.

Then press the button on the key fob twice .

now should be programmed .

If this does not work you will have to visit the dealer or a mobile locksmith.

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I said in my question that I had tried your solution and it did mot work. Do you have any other advice?

Open the remote and count how many characters are on the head marking .

as shown in the attachment .

No markings . 5 to 7 character head markings or 8..

Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Greg, I checked and there are no numbers. Also the diagram you sent is not my type of key fob. My fob is I beleive a radio device and not an infrared device. Also I know the method you sent to re-pair the key to the vehicle should work as I have done this before when the Battery in the fob went flat. The method does not work now but I do not know if it is the key not transmitting or the car not receiving. Mal.

when you press on the central locking switch for 5 seconds does the locks lock and unlock.

Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Once again may I point you to my initial input to this queery. Everything went as it should up until the point where I pressed the buuton on the key fob. At this point nothing happened. I tried a single press, 2 presses then multiple presses but nothing happens. After about 15-20 seconds the car system resets and goes back to the normal flashing red light on the dash as apposed to the solid light during the paring process. When I press the key fob the LED on the fob flashes but obviously I do not know if any signal is being sent to the vehicle. Mal

If you don't have any character then it should not need programming according to my keyfob programming sheets,

for your car it automatic programming ..or the keyfob is not working.

So if now not working could be the fob, but best you have a scan tool hooked up and check for malfunction codes .

you could have a malfunctioning instrument cluster which is the receiver. Common issue .

Greg

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I check if it is my key not transmitting? If my key is OK and it is my instrument cluster I assume you are refering to the BCU. If so how do I get to this unit on my Mk3 Renault Espace?

Hi .

Here is a link of a list of shops that can check this for you.

Please click here for link.

Or you will need to visit the dealer that can also test the remote.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, No shops any where near my house. Dealer wants £800 plus to check and fix. Can you advise which unit does the tronsponding and whre in my Espace it is situated. I am an elactronics engineer and have the required skills to remove the unit. Problem is I cannot find any manuals etc available for my Mk3 with any information. I would love to have a circuit diagram of the vehicle but once again cannot sorce one. Thanks in advance. Mal.

Hi Mal .

Let me see if i can dig you up a manual .

Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for that. Hope you have more luck than I did. Closest I got was that the circuits were something to do with Matra, I think. Due to the age of the car, even though it is still in good condition and only done 105000 miles the cost of repaire by Renault would be more than the car is worth. Mal.

Mal still looking got MK4 Mk3 hard to find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any help with the location of the BCM in my Mk3 Espace. At the moment the information you have given to me is stuff I already knew. Any help would be nice. Mal.

BCM is behind the left footwell on the left hand side and you will need to remove a good part of the plastic cover to gain access.

When removed you could send it to this site for diagnostic checks and repairs .

Please click here for repair site .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Greg. You say the receiver is part of the instrument cluster. In your opinion should I look at the instrument cluster on top of the dash first or concentrate on the BCM which other sources say can cause intermitant/failure of the central locking?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I would have the BCM checked first as this is a common issue .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any luck with a manual, circuit diagrams or component layout for my Espace?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Greg. Any update on Esoace Mk3 manual, circuit diagram or component layout/location.
Regs Mal.

No i'm sorry, can not find any information on the MK III ...

Your best bet would be Ebay .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Already been doing my own research. Thought you as a key trader would have a little more knowledge and be able to source such information. God knows how Renault manage to service these vehicles without Manuals/Wiring schedules.