Shane Bassetti
Shane Bassetti, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
77403833

Oh just when I press the start key, it hesitate to start up.

Customer Question

oh just when I press the start key, it hesitate to start up. I need to try a few times and wait for a few seconds and then start up almost randomly. I am concerned that it may stop starting up at th emiddle of the road when I turn it down
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I have not touched the battery. It should be fully charged as I drove mainly to commute on the motor ways
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: BMW 320D 2009
JA: Are you fixing your 320i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not much. I just managed to start up after a few seconds every time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car has 120000 miles on. It had its clutch replaced recently. serviced at the end of 2016
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Shane Bassetti replied 4 months ago.

Hi thanks for using the site. A slow/hesistant startup can really only be tied to a battery that is dying, which would lead to insufficient amperage to the starter, A starter that itself is going bad, or an accessory or engine part that is causing resistance to start. Even if you think the battery is OK, I need you to get it tested first. That is most common and you cannot and should not test anything else, until that is done. Please get back to me and let me know the results. Thanks.