Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I drive a 2002 wrx wagon and replaced the rotors and brakes

Customer Question

I drive a 2002 wrx wagon and replaced the rotors and brakes a bit ago and getting a hard brake rub and squeal only when its heats up i was thinking possibly my caliper?
JA: When was the last time you changed the brake pads?
Customer: well i bought the car 7 months ago and here i am replacing both rotors and brakes on this car for the first time
JA: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yeah ive fixed the front right axle and replaced a few hub bearings front right too but this is the first I'm hearing noise on the left side
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: before i swapped the brakes and rotors i had that axle i replaced end up defective everything was then replaced and aligned and got my tires rotated
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin i would agree it sounds like youve got a caliper sticking .have you checked they are free ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm kinda fresh to the caliper game haha so if their free, I'm not sure unfortunately..
when i changed the brakes today i brought the pistons back and pumped it back up when i got the wheels on, i took a ride to set them and by the time i get back to my garage i still had a squeal and rub, so i took it off while it was hot and checked everything for a fresh wear, i went to wiggle the pads and they had some room to jiggle, i started up the car to pump the brakes and still had wiggle room
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok so the pistons inside calipers can be pushed back into caliper easily ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there's no play between the brakes and rotor actually, i just ran out to confirm that. but yeah i can draw the pistons back very easily
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok and any signs of excess heat ? Any redness on rotors?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no redness from what i can see, definitely burnt m fingers though after a mile of driving
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

More on one side of same on both ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
driver side is the only on squeeling i didn't think to check the other sides temp really, a friend of mine had the same problem with his wrx before he got rid of it and he couldn't pin point it either
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

You need to compare the rotors from one side to the other ensure that the colour of rotor is the same .that rotor can be turned freely before driving and still as free after driving .then come back to me

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
alright so ill give it the mile drive again. now when you say turn the rotor freely is that with the tire on or off? i have to use a screw driver to rotate the rotor while its hot and when its cold i have to use both hand to spin the rotor alone, this is with both fron wheels up
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok with wheels on you should be abe to turn wheels with ease

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay they both spin freely and their isn't really too much color difference to either of them, front right is looking more so copper rust color with thin shiny silver wear marks and the front left but wider shiny silver wear marks, also seems as though the shim clip may be rubbing
my old rotors were beat to hell and had heavy heavy digging wear marks that looks like it could've been clips rubbing but i don't see an wear on the clips
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok if the clips rub at all it will sound awful on the road .i would replace them if they are bent at all they are likely the issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you recommend a clip? haha sounds lame as hell but i have no luck with clips that fit, the "oe" brakes with clips don't fit the caliper bracket and when i threw my old pads and clips on that fit like they were tailored i still had the squeal and rub
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

You will have to order these from subaru otherwise they just wont fit right

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if that was the problem wouldn't it squeal and rub even if it isn't hot? and lets say the clips aren't the problem, to figure out if there is a caliper problems what is the best solution for my case in the sense of new caliper, caliper bracket, or new pins? i also want to add ive never lubed the caliper pins before, could that be the issue?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Lube the caliper pins .and clips will get closer as disc warms as its expanding more and more as it gets hot

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay cool, thanks for the advice man, very much appreciated.. hard to find a second opinion around here without a guy trying to upsell a "problem" and make a sale
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

No problem please remember to rate my service and cone back and let me know how you get on

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service