UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Mk2 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci and every now and then it…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Mk2 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci and every now and then it starts to splutter and nearly stall, I just did the info stalk and key way of bringing up fault code and it brings up DTC 1 9601, is this something to do with the key?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yep the headlights turn on and its a 6 month old battery oin it

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Focus?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its actually my girlfriend's car, I have a mk3 Mondeo 2.0 tdci and it seemed similar to a key issue I had before and it seems to work with the flip key entered a certain way when she drives it but I also thoughtit could be the EGR as it does leave out a puff of black smoke until I stated to use a diesel engine cleaner my local Ford garage told me to try

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all I can think of when it gives the issue

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
3/21/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

hello

that DTC relates to a fault with the security system so I'd try this reset process:

Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

Remove the ignition key.

The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this

Now press the unlock button on the remote. Press the unlock button on any other remotes that you have to program at the same time.

Now turn the ignition off. A beep will sound indicating that program mode is finished

and I'd also replace the battery in the keyfob before doing this

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you