EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

Its my girlfriends car the door handle wont open from the

Customer Question

Hi, its my girlfriends car the door handle wont open from the inside, she has to open the window and open it from the outside handle
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2006 convertable
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im in the UK but am going in a week to have a look, I haven't looked at it yet apparently she someone look at it and was unable to fix it but I haven't looked myself yet, I just wanted an idea where to start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: i haven't checked the battery, the passenger door opens fine its just the drivers door and it starts and runs fine, would a battery do that?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of thank you
Category: UK Car
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. The first thing you are going to need to do is to remove the door panel. What kind of car did you say this was?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a Pontiac solstice convertible 2006. I'm currently in the U.K. and she lives in Connecticut I'm out there next week and wanted to know where to start, I've heard it quite a common problem on these cars but no one seems to be able to come up with a solution

Thanks. Generally the door latch is the problem. Pontiac does have a service bulletin related to the door being inoperative from either the inside or outside handle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the door panel hard to remove on this car? I've never looked at one before.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The door opens fine from the outside, she has to open the window and use the door handle on the outside, could you point me in the direction of the bulletin you were talking about please?

The door panel is not hard to remove. If I remember 2 or 3 screws and the pushpins hold it on. The latch is possible to cause that concern. But it could be a broken interior handle, or a rod that needs adjustment, or a broken cable. The bulletin is information on door latch diagnosis to help figure out the problem. click here for the bulletin.

Let me know if you need any more help on this. Also please take a moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am going out to the states on Thursday to see her and have a look at the car. I will check the latch as shown in the service bulletin you sent to me.
Thank you,

Ok. sounds good.