UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

My wifes 06 1,6l have a problem to start.. it ignites and

Customer Question
hi, my wifes 06 1,6l...
hi, my wifes 06 1,6l have a problem to start.. it ignites and shut of for a number of times before it eventually starts.... a red warning light )flash( has been on for a couple of days...//thanks, mike
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: sorry, it blinks... it is the red flash under the yellow "check engine" and above the temp lamp
JA: What is the model of your '06 Chrysler?
Customer: 1.6 classic
JA: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, haven´t tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
12/21/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

this could be the low oil pressure light? so I'd 1st suggest to check the oil level in the engine and if thats OK and its not a oil light then another fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi matt! well, it occured after i topped off the oil a couple of days ago... it is a red warning light (not the yellow check engine) with a flash symbol between two parentheses, it is blinking and don´t stays on all the time... my book referes to "ETC"-error and says to go to a mechanic...//thanks, mike

Hello Mike

OK an ETC is an electric throttle error, which means the TCM has detected a mismatch between the pedal demanded position and the actual position

so I'd suggest the next step is to remove the inlet trunking so you can access the throttle body and give it a good clean out with brake cleaner and a lint free rag

if this doesn't help then its possible that the throttle body may need to be replaced

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer