Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an on-and-off yellow park brake warning (which keeps

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: i have an on-and-off yellow park brake warning (which keeps activating and going away constantly after the first one) that is really testing my patience. I have a tuning box installed, which I bypassed two weeks ago to test if it had anything to do with the issue and it came back after some time. can it be a sensor? doesn't look like it's software anyway
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: the parking brake sensor... no error codes, none that i have found anyway.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: because it goes away so fast I can't even find the time to access the control check menu it's a z4 e89 from 2012, sdrive20i
JA: Are you fixing your Z4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: this has been going on for about a year now, but some times it just vanishes and takes a few weeks/months to come back. so far I only took it to the bmw service in my area, but they didn't find anything, as always. they updated the software on both times, as far as i know
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that the tuning box is manufactured by TMC Motorsport and it's called "engine box"
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what is the exact light you are getting, can you please describe it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My question is not closed, I was just very busy and could only get back to the subject just now. Since I already paid, I kindly ask you to reopen the question so I can get help with this issue
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

the question is open. please describe the exact light you have or post an image of it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to catch the light yesterday, I'm sending it attached
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

have you read the check control message that is being stored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I never saw any message, specially because this warning keeps coming on and off every 5-20 seconds whenever the loop starts and it keeps interrupting while i'm on the menu.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

do you have idrive in your z4?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, I don't know what that is. But I'm sure I don't have it in my car
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
you don't have a screen in the center of the dash with a control knob on the center console? like this: http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/p0049872-1600x1200.jpg
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope, just the basic stuff and a professional radio
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

thinks last question, do you have a manual parking brake with a handle or the electronic one?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's the electronic one
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.. this is most likely being caused by a failure of the electronic parking brake unit itself. it is sending an erroneous signal that it is engaged when it is not. You will need to replace the unit to rectify. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.