sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Hallo, After installing a new radio, the dash illumination,

Customer Question

Hallo, After installing a new radio, the dash illumination, tail lights, and parking lights don't work anymore. It is strange that when you pull the headlight knob very slowly (before it comes to the parking light position), everything works for a moment, but if you pull more, everything goes out again. I checked all fuses and they are ok. Could you please help me? Thanks a lot, Alfred from Germany
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Yes, I did, the bulbs and the connection are ok. It's only when you pull the button knob.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1998, RAM 1500 BMBR
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: BEBR, sorry
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I do. I read several websites and I realized that people have tha same problem
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A wiring issue or blown fuse can prevent the park lamps from working but if you can get them to come on momentarily with the switch in a certain position that indicates a failure of the switch. The headlamp switch powers the park lamp circuit directly and it can fail from heat damage.

The headlamp switch will need to be replaced. If heat damage is found to the connector when replacing the switch then the connector will need to be replaced also.

Don't try to get by with an aftermarket switch, a Mopar would be recommended except in case of an emergency. The internal circuit breaker in aftermarket switches usually doesn't support the load it needs to, resulting in intermittent headlamp operation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, i'll try to get a new orginal switch. Thanks for the moment!
Alfred Schmidt
You're welcome!