Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

When driving my bmw x5 e53 and I go to set of it does not

Customer Question

hi there when driving my bmw x5 e53 and I go to set of it does not accelerate properly unless I double press the accelerator, have you got this before, it also happens when I slow down and have to accelerate again, my car is the 3.0 diesel and onkly had a full service not so long ago.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: that was the first thing I did when problem started but no change
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my mechanic has done the work but he is stumped tried a new maf, new trans oil and filter and a full service
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.
Do any warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None at all
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
none.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

sorry for the delay. when you press the accelerator the first time, do the revs go up, or not?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not as high as they should though
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

so the revs go up and those revs are not translated to road speed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thats correct
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

the problem is internal to the transmission or transfer case. I would suggest having the vehicle raised and replicating the issue, then the cause can be traced with a mechanics stethoscope or similar. It is likely the transmission in which case I would have the software updated and the transmission reset, but it may require a rebuild / replacement

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.