sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Kia ceed 2008 and I am trying to replace a coil

Customer Question

I have a Kia ceed 2008 and I am trying to replace a coil pack. How do I actually get the thing out?
JA: What is the model of your '08 Kia?
Customer: ceed 1.4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have disconnected the coil packs while running the engine. The first on the left resulted in no change in the engine running.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 80K manual
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know how to get the coil pack out. Seems difficult to access.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Removing a coil is very simple. If you've unplugged the coils then you've already removed the engine cover over the top of them. From there all you would need to do is unplug the connector for the coil that needs to be replaced, remove the bolt that holds it to the valve cover, and then pull the coil out of the head. You'll want to start with a twisting motion before pulling upward to help break the boot loose from the spark plug.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. What type of coil pack will fit?
It is a coil on plug system rather than having a coil pack. All you'll need to do to get the correct replacement is give the parts store or dealer your year,model and engine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to clarify- can I replace one of the coils only?

Yes, there wouldn't be a need to replace a coil that has not failed.