sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My saab 9-3 2009 aero xwd has just been in the shop for a

Customer Question

my saab 9-3 2009 aero xwd has just been in the shop for a wing repair - at which they probably disconnected the lights , and I am now getting a headlight leveling warning when i turn on the lights, I can see its no longer operating
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: my question is where is the best place to chek for a faulty conneciton - or is it as a i suspect a case of taking out the light to get at the electronic box under the light itself these are the xenon ones I think
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't looked yet as its been freezing and dark but I want to check that the obvious connections are seated properly in the hope I can correct the fault , otherwise its back to the shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no as I dont know what the leveling mechanism connections are and I have no diagrams I thought i would ask to see if you could help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the lights work and the only issue is with leveling then most likely there is an issue with one of the leveling sensors or leveling mechanisms themselves. There are height sensors on the suspension which are used for the system to know when adjustments are necessary.

Do the lights work correctly other than not leveling?

What exactly was the repair that was done?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The car is now booked in to get the headlights re-calibrated , the work that was done on the car probably involved removing the headlights but I'm not sure - no work was done to the lights or the suspension which should have left the self leveling untouched.
It seems however that by disconnecting (probably the headlights) it now requires that they be re-calibrated.
The repair work was to replace the bumper and wing. The body shop didn't know why it had happened and didn't know how to correct it. I have had to put the car into a different garage to get the work done on the lights.
Let me know how it goes!