sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 2.0l crdi Santa fe wont start with key every time but

Customer Question

2005 2.0l crdi Santa fe wont start with key every time but will start on a push and run with no problems. Had a problem with corrosion on glow plug relay which was replaced along with glow plugs but starting problem is very sporatic and unpredictable. Problem initially started with long turnovers before firing but would generally fire. On good days it would start straight away. No codes showing up but replaced cam sensor with second hand unit to no avail.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You don't mention what happens when attempting to start the engine but I'm assuming that it cranks but doesn't start. If that's the case then injector leakage/wear is the most likely cause.

Has actual rail pressure versus commanded been looked at while cranking at the time it doesn't start?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. The engine does crank and you may well be correct that it could be injector leakage/wear but I don't understand that when the car does fire after a push it will run with no problems for miles and would generally start on the key any time after that over the course of the day usually and maybe over the week but it could do the opposite and not fire again with the key until its either pushed or towed. I have no way of measuring rail pressure. Can you explain what you mean by rail pressure vs command. I have basic knowledge around diesels but I am learning with this one as I go along. This is the first diesel I have owned and would have greater knowledge with petrol engines over the years.

Actual rail pressure is the pressure in the rail, the high pressure side of the fuel system. Commanded is the pressure that the engine controller is requested. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to monitor commanded versus actual rail pressure and it should be found that rail pressure is low.