UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

My 700r4 tranny wont shift out of 1-gear. (into 2-gear)

Customer Question
Hi! my 700r4 tranny wont...
Hi! my 700r4 tranny wont shift out of 1-gear. (into 2-gear) reverse is fine. Governor seems fine (gear little worn but ok, retaining pin in Place and valve moves freely). tv cable Works at it should, and the plunger moves freely. Any suggestions ?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately? What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: the trans was proffesionally build 2000 miles ago (3 year ago). actually sit in my 57 chevy
JA: Are you fixing your 57 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, restored mostly by me. No leaks, no obvious faults, working perfectly until yesterday...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no :)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my thoughts are to pull the valve body...suspect the tv valve to be stuck.. Another symptom i registraded that may help to investigation is that just before i parked the car (when the problem started) i was driving in 4-gear and i tried to downshift (kickdown) With no response... What do you think ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: tim's auto repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it ever shift out of first to maybe like into neutral?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tim,
yes it shifts as normal from park to neutral and revers.All combinations

i mean automatically..does it ever shift out of firt into anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it stays in the selected position

how about at high rpm's?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
same. tried high rpm , no difference

when you let off of the throttle ,,does it still hold 1st or does it freewheel coast?

can you take the call option?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I set in in drive and the 1-gear engage smoothly as normal ,then i start to drive, let say to an high rpm and then let of the pedal, the car freewheel (no brakeup from the transmission) until it Reach a walking speed.
Calling from Norway is a bit expensive .. :(

ok,,i understand

tell me,,if you pull out on the tv cable..do you feel the cable pull back?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does. I also pulled the pan to check that the plunger responded to the cabel pull. But i may suspect that the tv valve is stuck, what do you think?

1-first..pull out that governor again..make sure that when you shake it that the valve in the governor is moving..it may have debris in the governor valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did, the valve moves freely (freefall)

2-

1-Disconnect the tv cable from the throttle body/carb.

2-jack up the rear of the car/truck and put the car on jack stand[be sure the rear wheels are off the ground

3-start the engine and put the shifter in 1/low

4-give it throttle then shift to 2nd,3rd and the od

5-it isn’t going to want to shift to 3rd and od,but it will ,just give it more throttle[be careful not to get the car/truck hot]if it doesn’t go the first time,start the procedure over

6-after it shifts to od,,stop,put the shifter in od and then give it throttle so that it shifts automaticly

7-then install and adjust the detent/tv cable

if it still isnt shifting out of first when you do this,,then yes,,i would think it has a valve sticking in the valve body,,in which you may neeed to remove the valve body and clean it out

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried those Things also, seems i have to get messy With the valve body! :-) .Ok, thanks Tim!
Kjell Olav

i would think so

you are very welcome

thanks

tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic