UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Ron, I have two small problems with my ford econoline 350

Customer Question
Hi Ron , I have...
Hi Ron , I have two small problems with my ford econoline 350 ,v10 , I have been reading and looking at your previous asked questions and gained great knowledge , problem one is the alternator is charging ok but the battery light is on at when key is in start or run ,the green and red cable from the light has 12v and the yellow and white is 12 v but there is no harness plug so wiring on spades and there is no black and white link cable , so can you advise me where I place the cables on the three pin rectifier socket and verifi there is a link cable from the separate single connector on the alternator to the socket on the rectifier ? And if I wire this correctly and the battery light remains on , does this mean the alternator is not working correctly to turn off the battery light ? ( there is 7 volts coming from the single terminal on the alternator ).
my second issue is the airbag light remains on with no flashing at all ,I have checked the front sensor ,seems to be visibly ok ,one wire ,did not want to chance and testing ,I have found the crash sensor on the passenger footwell ,but I do not know how to test ? The seatbelt tensioners connection pins were slightly bent I have straightened them with the battery disconnected , can you help ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
10/4/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Ron, Car Enthusiast replied 1 year ago
Ron, Car Enthusiast

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have a look at the enclosed wiring diagram for your 1997 and tell me which wire your not seeing at the alternator. Your battery light is controlled by the internal regulator in the alternator. The wires that should have key on engine running battery voltage are the Yellow/white wire as well as the black/orange wire and the green/red. which one dose not have battery voltage?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ALt%20Oct%204.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron it's the wbk that's not there , to orientent myself there are three connections on the regulator but on the drawing it does not show what connection is the first one ?

The white /black is separate. It should be in the larger connector on the side of the alternator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you not able to help without the call ?

Yes sure thing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Ron I have lost you , yes I thought so ,that part of the wiring harness is not there but I do not know if the white and yellow and the green and red cable are in the correct place ?

Your harness has to match the diagram to charge properly, if its charging right the wires have to be in place.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for getting back to me ,so if I put a link cable onto the middle terminal on the plug and on to the terminal on the side of the alternator ,would that be correct ?

Which terminal are you referring to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the rectifier there are three terminals and on the alternator there is a single terminal and there is then the bolt on terminal for the battery ,do I need to wire a link from the Middle terminal on the rectifier to the single terminal on the alternator ?

The yellow/white goes to the A terminal on the alternator case, the black /orange goes on the post marked B +. At the regulator connection the white black wire goes from the S terminal to the other S terminal and the green/red wire goes on the I terminal ( ignition).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for that but unfortunately the alternator does not have the connections marked on it IE terminal a ,s and s ,and I do not have a harness plug , but I think I understand , I have at present the white and yellow cable Going to one of the terminals on the regulator ,and not on the terminal on the alternator case ,so that is wrong !!
I just now need to find the position of terminals s and s for the black and white cable and terminal 1for the green and red cable on the actual alternator unit ? Any ideas
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron still there ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ron my first question is still unanswered , are you able to help ? Or not

If you look at the regulator as well as the alternator you will see the terminal are marked. The alternator has to be wired just as shown in the wiring diagram. Is it? Im here all day to help you if your still needing help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi, Ron ,I am sorry ,you did not answer my question , I can get the correct wiring diagram ( you unfortunately gave me the wrong one ) and I can read where the coloured cables go to on the drawing , just as you did in your answers , I does not help me as I was looking for where the cable go on the actual unit its self , and only some one who has real experience with holding these units would be able to tell me the info I need ,and these alternators are fitted to nearly every E class vans ,so I will not be rating you at all . thanks

I have 32 years of handling these units. I will open the post back up for you. Best to you as well.

Ron, Car Enthusiast