UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Zafira 1.9 DTI 2010 model, occasionally, whilst the starter

Customer Question
motor spins the engine ok...
Zafira 1.9 DTI 2010 model, occasionally, whilst the starter motor spins the engine ok, after ~2 sec, the starter motor stops and the engine hasn't started. Can you help?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery tip top, including connections
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: zafira B 2010 1.9 Dti Elite
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oil level ok, was serviced several weeks ago.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure if the EGR or DPF is at fault. After a short while the ca starts ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
10/1/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

I'd start by checking the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance and the ability to start

. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

ast 20K then they may have to be replaced.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer