UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I mobilizer won't reset, 05 Fiesta, Battery had died, put

Customer Question
I mobilizer won't reset JA: What...
I mobilizer won't reset
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 05 Fiesta
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery had died, put new on and discovered the mobilizer issue
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: It new
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
9/18/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You don't mention exactly what the issue is but if the battery was disconnected then factory security would need to be disarmed. Have you pressed the unlock button on the key fob?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunatey, at the moment, the car is used infrequently and we found the battery was flat and so was taken off the car to recharge. This has been done previously when we had battery issues and a new battery was fitted, only about 6 months ago, without an issue. On putting the battery back on the car, the imobilizer light on the dash flashes and stops the car starting.
I have tried both the fob and the spare key but to no avail.
The car is currently without an MOT/Tax and is the reason I had tried to start the car to take it for an MOT test.

What happens when the unlock button on the key fob is pressed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The central looking on doors unlock.

What specifically happens when trying to start the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't turn over! The imobilizer light flashes on the dash.
The starter never engaged? It didn't start and die and then lock the starter out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I remember! As I have said previously it's not the first time we've had the battery off the car but is the first time we've had issue. Again, the fob both opens and locks doors. On trying to start the imobilizer light flashes (pad lock symbol) on the dash and nothing happens.Sorry about the sporadic nature of the replies but I do not always have access to my emails.
Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on? Does the engine light do a bulb check and go out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unsure about the fuel pump but the engine light bulb is on and has been for some time, some issue with a sensor (sorry I ca't remember which) that was diagnosed at Ford garage but has not been fix but also has not caused any issues as car was running fine before all this happened.

The engine light doesn't do a bulb check and go off? If it doesn't go off after about three seconds then that should indicate the engine controller isn't awake, usually due to a loss of power or ground or an internal failure.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician