Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car is a X5 2004 3,0D with 172000 km on the clock. I bought

Customer Question

Hi
Car is a X5 2004 3,0D with 172000 km on the clock.
I bought it one month ago.
I was then informed that the front left driveshaft was changed due to "crack" in the driveshaft. Checked, and yes: It is new. Seller did the work at an indy.
Now i am getting weak noises/slight vibration at low load, straight forward running about 25km/h. It sounds like a combination of something dragging under the car / somebody is snoring lightly.
I do not know for a fact that it is to do with the driveshaft, only suspecting it.
Other thing that may/may not be linked: Slight judder in steering wheel when turning over out of parking space. No noise.
Regards
Arild Sk.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Other description of the sound: Not constant. I really need to work With the speed (around 25 km/h) to find the "resonance point". Sligt tickle in steering Wheel at the same time. If there was a Heavy nut or bolt loose under the dash left side, or laying loose at the covers under car, left side, front - that is about what I hear.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I'd agree that it sounds like the noise is driveshaft related

- typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi
I do not think it is to do with driveshaft joints. The frequency is way too high, like a buzz / resonance. I am familiar with the sound of worn shafts. My theory is that there may be a small (and allowable) slack somewhere in the steering coloumn. Then this is put in motion by something the rotating parts or controlling parts is doing. Found some threads on this on Land Rover forums that sounds plausible. So then i adjusted my steering wheel from the driving position appr 10-20 mm forward. So far it looks good. Also read out error message (using Foxwell NT644Pro) that "Servotronic valve open". The Foxwell cannot tell me when the message occured, nor any freeze frame data stored. I think the message is based on an intermittent fault, as I cannot feel any wrong on steering when driving other than slight vibration when easing out of parking space (not at standstill, though). Also wondering if there is a vibrating shield, or something connecting to exhaust vibration in engine bay. I have also decided to change oil in transmission (plus filter), both differentials and transfer case.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

thanks for the extra info

the X5 does have a bit of history in burning in out its steering control module so to get the 'Servotronic valve open' may be the preliminary warning of this starting to occur

if you run into issues with the steering becoming heavy or intermittent in weight then I'd consider replacing this unit

and replacing all the oils is good practice in any case

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you