UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Just done oil and filter change bmw x3 2.0 d cleaned egr

Customer Question
valve and changed air filter...
just done oil and filter change bmw x3 2.0 d cleaned egr valve and changed air filter ..now mil light has come on and no acceleration ..
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the BMW Mechanic to figure that out. What year is your X3?
Customer: 2007 facelift
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes ..and just done a basic service so looking for answers as before I was losing power at mid range now I'm getting no acceleration at all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only had vehicle for 4 weeks ..all was ok until about a week ago when I started experiencing power loss between 2500 and 3000 rpm no up hill pull..and struggling to accelerate so decided to do service and clean egr valve at same time ..all back together started straight away ent for a spin and no power ..mil light came on just wont pull ,hesitates ,feels better over 30 mph but takes all day to get there .
7/15/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry this is just a list of causes which I can get anywhere ..there is no explaination of why these symptoms have occurred after I changed the oil and oil filter ..
Matt, Mechanical Engineer