Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Car been left weeks - when drove today heard a tapping noise

Customer Question

Car been left for 7 weeks - when drove today heard a tapping noise at low speeds up to about 30mph - got faster from 0 to 30mph as if something had come loose when car was left standing for 7 weeks - could not see any loose bits but not sure where to look - does not sound like from engine - more like the rear.
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: Not really - can hear when braking but assumed that was because slowing down ?
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: Hyundai Tucson 2009*****2.0 litre
JA: What year is your Tucson?
Customer: Year 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pumped up the tyres - that's it so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Its done 70,000 miles - serviced about a year ago - only done 6,000 miles since service - was fine before was left for 7 weeks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin is noise more ovious ,louder under breaking ?was car left outside ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was left outside - a bit more - I assumed was because slowing down
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I think it sounds very much like you have a rust spot on rotors .this spot will catch on every rotation of the wheel causing the type of noise you describe .this noise is normally more obvious when braking.this is caused by the brake pads sticking to rotors if car is parked up for long periods .it will progressively get better the more you drive car as it wears away

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drove it today with all windows down to listen. It sounds more like starts off slowly and gets faster as build up speed - after about 35mph its getting so fast that blurs into road noise. So could be something hitting - would this be a rust spot ? Braking does not make sound louder it just slows car down so its slower knocking sound ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It still sounds like a rust spot to be honest I'd keep driving it will improve

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service