Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Vauxhall Movano and there is no power on

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall Movano and there is no power on accelerating and hardly goes up steep hills
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: I have just had ir serviced and they are supposed to have changed the filters
JA: What is the model/year of your Vauxhall Morano?
Customer: 2.5 CD1 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only happened on my way home and just got in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No iam not amechanic.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you're not sure about the fuel filter then this shoudl be the 1st thing to double check, as if this partially blocked this will reduce pressure at the main pump and limit power

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I have been away.I initially contacted your organisation two days before your reply and I had to fix it the next day.Sadly it was nothing you suggested but the Mass air sensor. I bought a new one as I could not get the suggested cleaner and it worked perfectly even though I have never fitted an engine part before.thus I am afraid your response was of no assistancePhilip Robinson