Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

Is there anyone you recommend in Northern Ireland to help

Customer Question

Is there anyone you recommend in Northern Ireland to help with a boxer 2.2 which doesn't always start!
JA: No, I am an American. Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes engine turns over battery 6 months okd
JA: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 2004 boxer 2.2hdi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Taken to a mechanic they baffled because it's intermittent
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It started to bring on the immobiliser light intermittently on the dash. It done the same with both keys at the same time. At the moment will start by alternating the keys and keeping trying. Will usually start after a minute to three minutes. But mostly start with first or second try. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Peugeot Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

Hello, have any parts been replaced for this issue?

i see its intermittent, when this happens does the car crank or no?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the van cranks. No parts have been replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter was replaced 6 months ago - a new painted starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping you can help??One question please. If I let my local auto spark remove the immobiliser from the vehicle brain can it be replaced at a later date at a modest cost to allow me to sell the vehicle legally?
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

well you can sell the car no matter what, even if its bypassed there is no law against that so no worries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before a call I would like to know if you can help. I'm happy to talk via this method at moment.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

we can stay messaging that is fine, i want to be sure i can help as well.

Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

how smooth does the key turn in the ignition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an ever so slight roughness in the turn. Dash lights up each time key turns.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

ok, the ignition switch is the most common failure. do you know if the shop has a porsche scan tool?

the scanner will tell the tech if the car noticed the keys

Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

also if CAR WILL NOT SART INTERMITENTLY. CHECK STARTER LOCK RELAY, LOCATED IN THE TRUNK, FOR POWER FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH, THIS WILL BE A YELLOW WIRE, WHILE KEY IS IN START POSITION ALSO CHECK FOR POWER COMING OUT ON YELLOW/BLACK WIRE, GOES TO STARTER. IF NO POWER AT THE YELLOW WIRE CHECK FOR POWER AT IGN SWITCH THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM. NOW IF YOU HAVE POWER TO THE REALY AND NO POWER OUT OF LOCK RELAY, THE YELLOW/BLACK WIRE, WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS IN THE START POSISTION CHECK FOR SECURITY SYSTEM CODES IN THE PCM IF NO CODES FOR SECURITY SYSTEM. THE NEXT CHECK IS TO CHECK THE MICRO SWITCH ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL. APARENTLY THE RELAY IS CONTROLED BY THE PCM. GROUND AND POWER IS UPPLIED FROM THE PACM SO WITH A VOLT METER NOT A TEST LIGHT BACKPROBE THE RELAY TERMINALS FROM THE PCM FOR VOLTAGE AT THE 2 OTHER TERMINALS. IF NO VOLTAGE PRESENT AT THE PCM YOU WILL NEED TO FIND CONECTOR C4, THIS IS A BLACK CONECTOR, THE SECOND ON DOWN PLUGGED INTO THE PCM, AT TERMINAL POSISTION 1 IS YELLOW/ VOILET WIRE, PLEASE NOTE THERE IS 3 OF THEM THE ONE YOU WANT IS AT TERMINAL PSOISTION 1, THE CONECTOR IS MARKED. OHM THE WIRE TO GROUND, SHOULD BE INFINITE OHMS WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED AND WHEN CLUTCH PEDAL IS PUSHED IN ALL THE WAY IT SHOULD READ ZERO OHMS IF IT DOES NOT CHECK OHM THE BROWN WIRE ATTACHED TO THE MICRO SWITCH ON THE CLUTCH PEDLA TO GROUND SHOULD REAR ZERO IF NOT REPAIR THE GROUND TO THAT WIRE AND RECHECK AT THE ECM IF STILL OPEN CHECK THE MICRO SWITCH FOR RESISTANCE FOR PROPER OPERATION.

hope that helps, Lou P.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She refused both keys at exactly the same time. I am now starting her by alternating the keys until she responds and there's no guarantee to which key she responds to thanks. No tech doesn't have a Porsche scanner.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

ok see that last big chunk of info i sent that is something to make sure that it is the immobilizer system. assuming you have a manual trans.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check and get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

ok no problem i hope this helps, Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using the confidential card code number how do I carry the emergency starting procedure on pueguot boxer 04 2.2 diesel? I am a retired mechanic. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps being the third
Owner I don't have the codes but can apply for them through pueguot.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.

this i do not know, i will opt out for another expert to help/.