HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Repair Tech experienced in multiple car lines & makes.
285738

Ford e4od no 3rd or 4th gear, Replaced Trans. Put in tested

Customer Question

ford e4od no 3rd or 4th gear
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: Replaced Trans. Put in tested overhauled. Truck is a - 92 F-250 4*4
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: I am suspecting it to maybe be the transfer case signal to lead to this?
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 92 F250
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked cables, fuses, connectors.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Will fix myself. I have no light in dash indicating 4*4. If I remember correctly itonly has 1st and 2nd in low gear?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what was wrong with the transmission that lead you to replace it? Its doing the same thing now? No warnign lights on or codes stored?Yes its limitied to lower gear ranges in low gear 4x4.Does the 4x4 light up normally when put into low and high range?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission broke down while highway cruising nothing forward or reverse. Now we have 1st and 2nd and R. No lights. Can I pull codes without a scanner? The 4X4 Light did light up earlier this year. Now I get no 4x4 light in any position.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can pull codes by jumping the test connector as shown in this attachment. So you got a remanufactured transmission or you rebuilt the broken transmission? Is this an electronic or manual shifting transfer case? You didnt say if ti was gas or diesel.

Ensure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
Jumper Wire Installed Between Pin #2 And Self Test Input (STI)

Zoom Sized for Print

ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, and REACTIVATE the self-test by grounding, ungrounding, and re-grounding the STI connector. You are now in the wiggle test mode.
Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, ECA will set a code and signal a fault by flashing the CHECK ENGINE light..
To exit the wiggle test mode, DEACTIVATE the self test and turn the key OFF.
KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING

NOTE: The Engine Running (ER) wiggle test may be entered any time the engine is running.

START the engine, then ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, and REACTIVATE the self test. You are now in the engine running wiggle test mode. NOTE: Do not turn the engine OFF.
Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, ECA will set a code and signal a fault. NOTE: If any codes are set, perform the appropriate pinpoint test. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection\Manufacturer Code Charts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got an overhauled transmission. That had been tested OK. Manual transfer case. 7,3IDI
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok when in*****does the front driveshaft turn? indicating it is stuck in***** This isnt the same issue you had with the broken trans?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works fine with the transfer case except I have no 4x4 light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just wondering if the no 4x4 light has anything with the no up shift from 2nd
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok then that could be a bad indicator switch on the transfer case,it is a ball style switch you can unscrew and se if the ball sticks or pushes in to indicate 4x4 mode. Far as the trans goes, if no codes are stored, either there is an issue with the transmission range sensor not aligned if you had to swap it out when replacing the trans It must be aligned with the trans in neutral and line up two marks on the sensor body or it wont read the correct gear, causing the trans to think it is in a different gear rang like manual 2nd instead of Drive. Assuming there is no issue with the rebuilt trans. The indicators should at least light up when you turn the key to on or start the vehicle, it only lights up when in*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sensor is right as it only start in neutral and Drive.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

It shouldnt crank in drive, only park and neutral

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. P and N
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Did you verify the sensor alignment, is it an old or new sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to unplug the transfer case cable. No light.
I then tried to short it. Still no light.
Is it closed or open when NOT indicating 4x4
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Open, as the shifter moves for the transfer case, it moves a pawl and the ball on the switch depresses in and closes the circuit to turn on the light, if the lamp doesnt prove out on start up, it could be a bad bulb. Run a diagnostic check first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used same sensor. Lined up as old one.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If the sensor is bad, it can indicate the wrong gear and not allow it to upshift, it would have to be checked with a scan tool to see what gear it is reporting to the pcm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sensor was good on the other transmission.
Will try to pull codes in the morning.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find and if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now read the codes engine off key on. Nothing but nr 11 that normal.
Have pulled the large grey PCM plug in engine compartment and checked ohms over all solenoids All ok at app. 21 Ohms
Also checked ohms over MLPS inn all gears. All ok. This also indicate all cables to be good.
I have now pulled the plug from the transfercase to eliminate any signal from this to prevent upshift.
I am now going to testdrive.
If I still only has R, 1st and 2nd. What will the next step be?
Can the solenoid block be the problem even if I have checked them electrically?
Today it is a week ago since we got stuck here on our way home. I need to fix it today or leave it here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Testdrive without the 4x4 signal cable connected was a success. everyting works fine.
Except the 4x4 indicators.
How can this be? I checket both bulbs 4x4 and Low range. Both ok but no light.
I disconnect the cable from the transfercase and the trans works in all gears.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

PCM conrols upshifts, if it thinks its in a low gear range it wont allow an upshift, a scan tool to look at the sensor inputs would tell more even if the trans range sensor is ohmed out ok for example. Hard to say what component is causing the pcm to force i into a lower range.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Electronic Control Module

The electronic control module, located on the right cowl side, controls the operation of the transfer case in response to inputs to the pushbutton control by the vehicle operator, the speed sensor, shift position sensor and the neutral safety switch.

Transfer case uses its own module to control its operation

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?