sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I can't get the alarm in my Honda CR-V 2004 to go off I

Customer Question

Hi ,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I can't get the alarm in my Honda CR-V 2004 to go off I think the battery was flat and when I went to start it the alarm went off . I have charged the battery and alarm will not stop ( with fob or opening for with key only way to disable is to disconnect battery or remove fuse !
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Any idea what I should do Thanks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes I was hoping to fix myself !?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: No sure about you question ? Neither the key fob remote or door key will stop/reset/ disable alarm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  clmcr8 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

There is a alarm reset procedure that should work if it's the factory alarm honking the horn. Make sure all of the doors are closed and the key is in the drivers door lock cylinder. Connect the battery then turn the key in the lock to the lock position then the unlock position. It might take a few tries but this should reset the alarm system.

Just a friendly reminder to click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please at least say you are happy or satisfied. This is how I get paid by the site for my time so it's very important.

Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the quick reply . I have tried this and alarm is still going off ?
Expert:  clmcr8 replied 1 year ago.

Is it the horn or an alarm siren?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a siren
Expert:  clmcr8 replied 1 year ago.

OK that's an aftermarket alarm not a Honda factory alarm. Look under the drivers side dash for a small black or red button or possibly a switch. Connect the battery turn the ignition switch to on then press the button. This will shut the alarm off and reset it. The button can be wire tied to a wiring harness or installed into a plastic dash or kick panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is an after market alarm it works from the Honda key fob and the red flashing light for it is fitted in the dash ( it not after market ) Also the fuse to disable is in the fuse box
Expert:  clmcr8 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it must be different from the US models. I will opt out so someone with knowledge of your system can help. Please don't reply back to me. Wait for the next expert to contact you.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you sill need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you pressed the unlock button on the key fob?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eh yes ! Have tried the key fob to unlock , I have tried the key in the door , tried disconnected and reconnecting battery the only way I can turn it of is to remove the fuse or disconnect the battery . The car still start with the key and all seems ok apart from the alarm going off
Thanks
What does the vehicle do when the unlock button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The central locking works as normal . Alarm still goes off .
Can you post any part numbers from the back of the fob?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do . But I'm out working at the moment I will reply with numbers tomorrow morning if that ok
Thanks

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,
No numbers on the back of the key fob !
(Apart from battery type)

Are you able to upload a picture of the fob?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo attached

Can you describe the exact location of the red light you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light for the alarm is fitted on the dash next to the Rev counter sent photo not lit up at moment as fuse is out !

What is the exact fuse you're removing?

How do the symptoms change with the fuse removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15amp fuse number 7 in photo horn logo and light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated earlier everything works ok when fuse removed. Central locking ok . It just seems to disable the alarm

What exact symptoms are you having with and without the fuse in place? You have a siren sounding with the fuse in. Are lights flashing, does the engine start and die, etc? Is the siren going off in bursts, is it constant; how long do the symptoms last and what triggers them?

What specifically happens with the fuse in place, and what specifically happens with it removed? I'm not at the vehicle to be able to diagnose the problem in person and can only rely on information posted to the page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works as it should when the fuse is removed . When it's back in car still starts central locking works alarm is constant it's a 20 second alarm with about a 5 second break the break gets longer if you let it run long enough .
As with the lights flashing . Not sure as I have never had the alarm go off before they do not flash constant with alarm .. But they still flash when locking fuse in or out .

Lights are not flashing when the alarm siren is active then? The only symptom you have is the alarm siren sounds?

What activity triggers the alarm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights flashing with alarm
Battery was flat I had not used car in a while . I went to start the car and it would not start . And the alarm went off . I had to disconnect the battery to get the alarm to stop . I recharged the battery and as soon as it is connected the alarm goes off . I have closed all doors and bonnent and tried to reset with key in the door and the key fob . The only way to stop it is to disconnect battery or remove fuse .

If you remove the horn relay and put the fuse back in what do you hear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look at that tomorrow and let you know thanks

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Horn relay remove and fuse put back in Alarm / siren still sounds .
I'm a full time tech and at work this morning,I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem .

Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with the security control module?