Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Peugeot 206 (2005) 1.4 petrol (sport model) which

Customer Question

I have a Peugeot 206 (2005) 1.4 petrol (sport model) which has a pull-away issue.
After starting from cold there is no power whatsoever and the car sometimes stalls. It tries to respond to the throttle but seems to choke itself to death. After a few seconds it's fine and drives OK. Also if you start from warm, there is no problem.
The colder the morning, the worse the issue.I've been to Peugeot and they've put the latest software on, which did make a difference but didn't entirely solve the issue. I've since had an MOT + service and the problem is back as though someone flicked a switch.I've changed the oxygen sensor on the manifold (to make sure the heater element works) and it didn't make a difference.Otherwise drives fine so I can't fault any other component.Any ideas please?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine