UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

VW Jetta 5 1.9 TDI: I drive VW Jetta 5 1.9 TDI 2006. The turbo

Customer Question
I drive VW Jetta 5...
I drive VW Jetta 5 1.9 TDI 2006. The turbo boost cuts out at 2400 rpm and with it lets out a white greyish smoke when idling and and when you drive of, it smells only of diesel with no oil smell included. The engine, head and turbo was done over. The mechanic's prognoses is that there is some wrong with the throttle body and egr. what can be wrong
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer