UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

CTS: 2004 CTS left front wheel gets very hot and wants to seize…

Customer Question
2004 CTS left front wheel...
2004 CTS left front wheel gets very hot and wants to seize up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello If you have a worn wheel bearing then I've known these to allow the brake pads to bind against the disc rotor as its all no longer held true I'd strip the calipers down again and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc. If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing also check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you