Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Vauxhall meriva just cut out will not start again

Customer Question

vauxhall meriva just cut out will not start again
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
hi im kevin does engine turn over ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine turns over ,it has hadd a squirt of easy start but it made no sign of firing up could it be the ignition coil. The recovery guy thought it could be head gasket blown as there was some yellowish gunge on the oil filler cap which he said wwas possibly water in the oil,but the dipstick comes out showing clean oil not creamy looking.It is as if there is no spark.i have not checked yet to see if there is a spark..
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
check multiplug on the end of coil common to give a bad connection but if it wont start on easy start then likely is spark .yellow stuff in cap is more a sign of short journey use nowadays rather than head gasket .does engine turn over at normal speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes engine turns over at norm speed.i'm getting a coil tomorrow to see if it is that but i'll check the multiiplug 1st.any idea what else it could be that can get or check.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I would pop a plug out and poke it in coil and crank over to see if you have spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll do that and i'll let you know how it checks out,hopingly a runner again
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
let me know
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
how did you get on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
timing belt snapped.possibility of bent valves
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
no possibility if its snapped on here it will have bent thats why I was asking about speed engine was turning over
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
please rate my service and let me know if you need any further assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have had the rocker/cam cover off and head ,seems to be no damage s0 i am going to try a new cam belt and see what happens
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
you have nothing to loose very unusual not to bend but good luck let me kow how you get on