UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Volkswagen Golf: ! I got a Volkswagen Golf mk4, 1.4l,

Customer Question
Hello! I got a Volkswagen...
Hello! I got a Volkswagen Golf mk4, 1.4l, 2001 model. I am experiencing that the car is vibrating, but only when im accelerating between the 40-50 mph mark. If I let go of the throttle is goes away. The sparkplugs was changed this winter. Its not that intense, but pretty noticeable. Feels like someone pulls at the car repeatedly.
Also i noticed that two of the sparkplugs was in a worse condition than the others when I changed out the old ones this winter. And the clutch has seen better days.
Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
4/13/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. LET ME ASK SOME MORE QUESTIONS!! is the check engine light on or does it flash when in that range?any recent accidents?any recent work than the spark plugs?is it more noticable when it is damp weather?Was a scan test performed to see what codes are stored?please let me know!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello! 1) No the engine light does NOT flash at all when driving. 2) Theres no recent accidents that i know of, bought the car this winter, no signs of damage. 3) Yes. I have changed the air filter, engine oil, cabin filter, both rear rubber suspensions for the exhaust, the clutch and brakes has been bleeded out and the spark plugs changed as mentioned. A local garage changed a couple of sway-bar bushings and two mounting brackets for the exhaust in the front. The bleeding of the brakes was done recently and the vibrations have been there before I did that. 4) Im not quite sure of that, that would require me to do some more testing. I havent thought about just that, but it might now that you mention it. 5) No, no scan has been performed.
a scan test would be the next step to narrow down the issue at hand!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will get back to you as soon as I has got my hands on a scanner and codes
that will be great !! thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello again Wolfgang! I have now performed a complete scan with a OBDII tool and found the following codes:Engine: 18010 (Power supply (B+) Terminal 30 - Low Voltage)ABS: No codes.SRS: 00588 (Air-bag ignition Circuit - Driver Side -N95)A/T: Linking error, I could not read any codes at this menu. Probably because it stands for automatic transmission(?) which I do not have.I also have some more information which may or may not be relevant to you!1) One time I experienced that the engine shut down when driving on the highway, everything electrical inside the car was still working as normal. The speed slowly decreased for a few seconds before i suddenly got a response from the throttle pedal again and caught up to speed again. I should also mention that this happened when I was closing in on the red marker on the petrol gauge.2) The pulling/vibrations start at low as 30 MPH and up.3)I had a really bad ignition-fault when starting the car the other day. The idle was VERY unstable and this caused the whole car to shake and rattle really bad, before it eventually stopped. Has not happened since.Thanks for your support
do you know what was the ignition fault code? if you can state all of the codes they may be linked!!
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang , Master VW tech here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. was a scan test performed on the vehicle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only codes was for the engine and airbag
i would inspect the spark plugs , wires and coil . visual first and then while running spray the wires down with saltwater and see if there is any electrical leakage . if so replace and then retest .
Marty
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert