Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Trafic: , I have a 2003 trafic that won't start. It cranks,

Customer Question

hi, I have a 2003 trafic that won't start.
It cranks, gives a live data rail pressure reading off around 6000psi, no fault codes come up.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a sniff of brake cleaner it will fire but not carry on running, getting a live data reading for RPM,
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. In some cases what can occur is the vehicles security system can engage.When this occurs the engine can fail to operate the fuel injector signals keeping the engine from starting.You will still have an engine rpm signal as well as fuel rail pressure (which looks o.k. from here) but the injectors will not operate to deliver fuel into the cylinders.Usually this is a security component that has failed and is not allowing the engine to start.This can be an issue with the key itself or an issue with the immobilizer that reads the key signal needing replaced.If the scan tool that was used is not one that can plug into your vehicle and read all computers this may be why no codes showed up.A scan tool that can read all computers is needed to check for any codes set related to the theft system.This will have to be diagnosed further to help pinpoint the cause as I suspect this is a theft/security component fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your response.I don't think it is an immobiliser issue as live data is showing it is inactive and synchronization is completed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked for any blown fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all fuses are in-tact. Getting a signal from both the cam and crank sensors, both have been replaced as well. Scoped the injectors, there is no signal to them. If I disconnect any sensor it throws a code straight away. Timing is correct as it will run on brake cleaner.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Since you have no codes set but a code will set with anything disconnected and with what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with the engine computer itself.I have seen these fail/act up before needing replaced for faults like this here in some cases.The computer controls the injector signal and usually if there was a component other then the computer itself at fault a fault code would set.I am leaning on a possible engine computer failure here causing this issue needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete