Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2002 registered Grand Cherokee with the 2.7l

Customer Question

I have a 2002 registered Grand Cherokee with the 2.7l Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel. during cold weather, even after turning the key on/off 5 or 6 times, the engine cranks over and over for up to 30 seconds before it starts - and that is on a good day! I have had all the glow plugs replaced but the problem still exists, although the cranking time is a little shorter, but not much. Steve (in the UK)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - but if it is simple enough, then maybe!
JA: OK! The Jeep Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: Other than it has been maintained by a Jeep mechanic since new, I've had it 9 years and it has done 165k miles.
JA: Our top Jeep Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Jeep Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Jeep Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like a fuel fault here causing this issue.I have seen a restricted fuel filter as well as a weak fuel pump/injection pump cause this and leaking injectors or injectors that are allowing to much fuel into the cylinders.If you have not had the fuel system tested this needs done to see if a fault is found with the fuel system at all.I suspect one of these components here will be the cause needing replaced.

The injectors and pump pressure will need tested and this usually requires a scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle as well as other test equipment that most shops or dealers have.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete