UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Title: Simultaneous and permanent error codes P203E, P207D

Customer Question
and P2031 in a MB...
Title: Simultaneous and permanent error codes P203E, P207D and P2031 in a MB s500 w220 (2001).
Hi Marty, I am one of your fans...
Unfortunately, after a battery change, my S500 W220 (2001) began to show strange behaviours when starting in the morning (Warning messages regarding ESP, ABS, Battery/Alternator warnings...) and even difficulties to start the engine both with the key and the keylessgo system (The key and the cards are not allways recognized by the car).
Once the car has started several times, all warnings dissapear and the behaviour is completely normal until next morning or even if the car is parked for several hours and the engine gets colder...
I am forced to disconnect and reconnect the battery to be able to start the car in some mornings...
Afer scanning and cleaning all the error codes three of them were permanent: P203E, P207D and P2031...
By the way it is worth to mention that the odometer in the instrumet cluster lost its reading and no kilometers were displayed the first time I experienced the problem...
After one hour driving I recovered the reading in the odometer and it was incredible: Now it indicates 850.000 kms aprox. but the original number was 125.000 kms aprox...
I would sincerely ***** ***** r expert help
regards ***** ***** (Spain)
Jordi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know that P203E code to Carfers to CanBus errors related the Instrument Cluster
The P207D code refers to CanBus errors related to the EIS
And finally, the P2031 code refers to CanBus errors related to the assisted steering column.All 3 codes make sense since I've got:
- 1st A new bad reading in my odometer (It shows 850.000kms instead of the original 125.000kms I had before the problem)
- 2nd. Problems when starting the car, specially in cold mornings, wich could be related to a CanBus with the EIS (The 2 keys and the 2 keylessgo cards work after several attempts... and the dashboard shows messages regarding Bad keys and even Unrecognized cards that I guess are not real real because they tend to disappear when the engine finally starts)
- 3rd. Problems with my steering wheel adjustment system because it drives crazy for some minutes (The steering wheel moves up and down without my intervention) after using one of the keys to start the car.
Curiously, when I use any of the 2 keylessgo cards insted of the 2 standard keys, the steering wheel doesn't seem to be affected at all but eventually the engine could stop suddenly (As if I were had pressed the stop button of the keylessgo system) => It seems that the keyleesgo system rememebers that you have pressed the button several times when trying to start the car and executes the order to stop the car some minutes later...Anyway, once the car is started and after waiting 5 o 10 minutes, all seems to behave normal except the warning messages (ESP, ABS, etc.).
Normally I have to start and stop the engine three or even four times to get rid of these warning messages...The worst case of all is when I must start the car in some morning and I am forced to disconnect and reconnect the batttery in order to assure that the car recognizes both the keys and the keylessgo cards (In these occations the odometer shows no kilometers at all).As a temporray measure I've got a smart charger allways connected to the battery when the car is parked overnight.
At least, I can be sure that the battery will be providing the right amount of Volts and Amperes when trying to start the engine in the morning, minimizing possible additional warnings due to current drains...
3/22/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 1 year ago
Peter Zavarelli

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked to make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels with this issue here this needs done first.In some cases when replacing the battery this can cause a voltage surge/spike and can cause issues like this.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. this may be a damaged control unit like the EIS itself as sometimes a voltage surge or spike can occur and damage electronics when reconnecting a battery.

If all fuses have been checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your answer.
Unfortunately I was expecting a more precise answer but I guess it is not easy to answer such kind of questions.
Apparently all fuses are OK (Today I'm gonna check them once again) but perhaps some relay could be malfunctioning (I hear a strange relay sound under the hood when trying to start the car).
Regards.
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 1 year ago

Your welcome

What does this sound sound like and can you locate the location of this noise here?

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli