UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a QQ. It has started making a whoo whooooo sound when…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a QQ. It has started making a whoo whooooo sound when driving it and the smoke that comes out the exhaust is bad. it makes drivers stay away from me. I did have a bad battery and had to change it - so it stood outside my home for a month or so before I could get a battery. Once I installed new battery, all locks and key less key worked again but as I drove it I noticed smoke. After about 5 mins of driving I noticed the sound. If I go fast (60/70pmh) it seems to get quitter, but I am not sure if that is because other parts of the car are working and its blocking the sound for a while. When I start it tells me to check oil, I have done this and there seems to be more than enough in there - after wiping stick and then checking again. Please can you help me. I don't want to go to garage and get told its the turbo and its only a hose or something that is much cheaper to fix

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Nissan Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If I can, but I am a woman and would like to look and sound like I know what I am talking about when or if I go to garage

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?

No not that I know of

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
how will I get an email if you have not been told me email address please
3/13/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you may have a boost leak. A boost leak will cause a hissing type noise on acceleration, a lack of power, and can cause the engine to run rich and smoke (expected with a diesel engine but not so much with a gas engine).

What is the year, make, model and engine size?

Hi, firstly thank you for replying.
It is a Nissan QQ 1.5 dci tekna engine 58 plate.

Have any warning lights come on?

I light did come on some months ago, but RAC did a diagnostic test and it was the battery hence why I brought a new battery and fitted it and the light didn't come on again.

Will the noise happen if you rev the engine in park or brake torque the engine?

Has it lost power?

What color is the smoke?

The noise sounds like a siren a whoowhooooo sound. It doesn't happen if in park just when driving it
The smoke is a white/grey colour
It hasn't lost power no

Does the smoke smell like fuel?

Does it run rough or start hard?

No it does smell like fuel. It starts normal it's just when it's driving

Does the smoke smell sweet?

What is the current level of the oil and coolant?

there is not a smell
the oil level is ok so is the coolant.
it only happens when I am driving it. Although the smoke is there from start up. If I stop at lights as I drive away the smoke is quite bad and I find people pulling back so the smoke doesn't get to them.
It feels like it is not going fast as quick as it normally does but I got it up to 80 mph - the noise seemed to have left at that point but when I slowed down the noise was there again.
Can you shed some light on what it is as I am waiting to get it fixed. I expected to be able to take it to the garage by now. I am a woman and I want to go to the garage looking like I know what I am on about as women and garages don't mix!
thank you

The smoke definitely has a smell because something is burning that shouldn't be. The smoke is either from oil, coolant or fuel. Without being able to hear the noise in person there isn't a way to know without a doubt what it is. I expect the noise is either a boost leak or the turbo itself. If the turbo itself has failed that would also explain the smoke as it can draw oil from the crankcase. If the turbo has failed or you have an injector that has failed and is causing the smoke (that wouldn't explain the noise though) then it's not safe to continue running the engine. Catastrophic damage will be done if you continue to run it with a failed turbo or injector.

The noise is a whooo whooooooo noise bit like a faint police siren
How would I check for a leak

The best way to check for a boost leak if no problems are found visually would be to install an adapter on the compressor side of the turbo which pressurizes the intake system.