Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Ford mondeo 2008 TDCi keeps cutting out when starting

Customer Question

my Ford mondeo 2008 TDCi keeps cutting out when starting from cold, and cuts out when I slow down at junctions in first 5 mins. Engine Malfunction light comes on. Took it to garage & there are no codes. They cant find the problem. Think it could be a faulty ECU but cant tell as its an intermittent problem. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine starts then cuts out. Have to keep restarting it. When driving slowly the power goes & it cut out. It's an automatic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

from your description I'd be tempted to replace the crank sensor too

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you