Chris
Chris, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Specialize in UK Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.
12365498

I have a problem with the Becker RB3 in my Jeep Cherokee KJ

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
I have a problem with the Becker RB3 in my Jeep Cherokee KJ 2.8CRD Limited 2006.
The unit does not switch on correctly when starting the car after a couple of hours, it tries to start (Jeep logo displayed for 2 secs) but then a relay under the steering column clicks and the unit shuts off only to restart the same procedure 10 secs later.
This can go on for any amount of time from 15 secs to 10 mins after which the unit turns on and operation is 100% normal, with exception of fact that the day/night display function doesn't work... this function only worked once and I still don't know why :-).
Unless you feel otherwise, the odds would seem to be to replace the Becker with a Pioneer or other aftermarket brand to avoid expensive repairs... however... the Becker drives Infinity amps on each of the door speakers and I have NO idea of how to get a "normal" aftermarket unit to be compatible with this construction...
Have you done any replacements in this style and if so, what worked (or didn't).
As an afterthought, I only really need a Bluetooth amp as music, GPS and communication are supplied by my iPhone...
looking forward to your feedback
Robert
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert and welcome back. There may be a software update/fix for the RB3 to address this. Do you have a Jeep dealer near your location?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris,What other details do you need ?
As for your answer, I have a Jeep dealer not far but do not see how that answers in any way my question… please reread it
I paid 30€ into my account so this should be able to cover your timeThx for feedback
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well the reason I ask if you have a dealer close by is because I want you to have the software in the radio updated. The Jeep dealer has the equipment and access to the revised software. The iseue that you are having with the radio may be fixed by updating the software. So I recommend that you contact them and have the update performed before doing anything else. Does that make sense?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,
My account seems to be back up and running normally now, am able to access our conversation and I have confirmation that the 30€ was paid to you.
Looking forward to your feedback on the Email I just sent.
Bye for now
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,ref. followup, I will be out of the country the whole coming week so no chance to go and see the local Jeep dealership (I've got 2 in a 25km radius).
Can we catch up once I have been able to go to see them ?Also, I was expecting your answer to state that the Becker RB3 was indeed probably dead and give me feedback on the requirements for a aftermarket replacement unit compatible with the Infinity amplified speaker set.
You seem to feel that a software update of the Becker would be the way forward… this is encouraging but what software version is currently valid on these older units and what procedure / apparatus is required to do the update ?.Looking forward to your feedbackRobert
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert, I just realized when you said "older units" that the Jeep is a 2006. I missed that the first time I read the question and jusr focused on the RB3 model of the radio. Because of this I am changing my answer. There probably is no update for that radio. Sorry to have mislead you. There is a hardware problem with the unit and it will need to be replaced. I recommend a Pioneer head unit with iPod and Bluetooth capability. Those are very good radios and can be installed in the Jeep with a Metra wiring harness adaptor. You will also need a mounting adapter kit. If you have the steering wheel mounted radio switches and want to use them, then you will also need a CAN bus interface. Most car stereo shops can get those for you, or if you wish I can get the part numbers for you.

Again I am sorry for the conference and will look for your reply.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris
Am glad to see that a penny has dropped... was getting disappointed by the quality of your analysis of the situation.
yes please, the part numbers of the metra harness and can bus would be very helpful.
can any pioneer radio interface with the infinity amplified speakers ?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok Robert the installation kit/bracket is Metra # 99-6503, the wiring harness is 70-6502, and the steering wheel control interface is ASWC-1. Pretty much any Pioneer radio will be compatible with the Infinity powered speakers.

Again I am sorry for the original answer. I need to pay more attention right?

I hope this has helped Robert!

Cheers,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem chris
where i live they say that those who can read have an advantage in life...
:-)
i've heard and read that hooking up to the amplified Infinity 6x speaker set can be a serious problem... speaker impedance, power up relay operation, antenna and gps connector, general wiring correspondences...
do you havf any hands on experience with this ?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Not true. I have installed after market radios in KJ Jeeps before and have had no problems. The speaker impedence is not an issue because the Infinity amps handle the actual impedance of the speaker(s). The Pioneer will have a remote "turn on" circuit that will signal the amp to turn on. That wire will be connected properly through that 70-6502 wiring adapter. Now as far as GPS, that will not work with the Pioneer, unless you purchase a NAV Pioneer unit. Then you will use the GPS antenna that comes with the Pioneer.

I hope that makes sense Robert.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Chris,
I will be purchasing the Pioneer and the Metra stuff during the week and probably installing the lot early next week.
Do you mind if I leave the string open for that time ?
Thx in advance
Robert
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a plan Robert. Sure I can leave it openb as long as you need. Even if you decide to rate my service I can still keep it open and assist you even after you rate!

Chris