UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a QQ 2010 1.5diesel and on start up it smokes I

Customer Question
I have a QQ...

I have a QQ 2010 1.5diesel and on start up it smokes I changed the air filter and this stopped it for a day,had a noise from the air filter box

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Car runs well but smokes on start p

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: OK! The Nissan Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?

I think the air mass sencor may be playing up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/9/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Smoking can be caused by a number of things depending on what color it is. If it's blue smoke then it's most likely oil but could be fuel, white smoke could be fuel or coolant. Black smoke would be from the engine running rich.

The smoke may be related to the noise from the airbox, a noise from the airbox may be caused by valvetrain damage. Can you describe the noise?

the noise has only been there once and it was a wering rather than a knock or clatter,at the weekend I changed the air filter and for a day no smoke,I have had the glow plugs changed and the car runs very well ,quite no knocks,the noise is not there all the time but the smoke on start up is,could it be the mass air flow needs changing as I think this is in the area of the intermitent noise,I think you are right it is a mixture problem
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Can you describe the noise or upload a video?

The noise is not here at the moment but I still have the smoke on start up,I can take a video of the start up tomorrow and send it to you,as I have said the car runs well just the blow of smoke on start up
Kevin

Does it start with a normal crank time?

Starts in 2 seconds no problem

Have you checked for fault codes?

No fault codes

You've connected a scan tool and checked?

No I can ask my mechanic to do this,tried to take a video of start up but no smoke, went out came back puff of smoke took the car to park , went to take a video no smoke ? driving me mad

The first thing that needs to be done is check for fault codes. If it's producing an abnormal amount of smoke on initial startup there is a very good chance that one or more glow plugs aren't working.

Changed the glow plugs with Nissan Glow plugs,air filter changed,oil and filter done,I dont understand why this is an intermittent fault either oil is getting into the combustion chamber or a sensor or valve is sticking ?
Kevin

What color is the smoke and what does it smell like? If it's fuel smoke then you have injector issues or one or more glow plugs aren't working.

I have spoken to another mechanic who thinks it may be the exhaust/catalytic converter what do you think

A restricted catalytic converter will cause a loss of power while driving.

That's not it then, what about the oil cooler ?

The oil cooler would have no affect on driveability.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician