UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My key doesn't allow Me to start the car anymore, I have a…

Customer Question
Hello... My key...

Hello... My key doesn't allow Me to start the car anymore

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I have a 2008 mondeo and today after I came back from a drive wanted to start the car again and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Disconnecting the battery hoping the immobiliser will reset or something... I bought the car used and it came with only one key

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

Nothing I know about

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/8/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Gallagher99, Ford senior technician replied 2 years ago
Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician

Hi there good afternoon to you

Ok is this a keyless start vehicle

Do the ignition lights come on when you press button /turn key

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

they do turn on... And it's not keyless go... It sais imobilizer on

Hi There good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response

the most common issue we see on the mk4 2007/2009 Mondeo regarding Immobilsor active issues is standing corrosion in the main engine bay loom. Y joint

This Y joint is prone for holding standing water and causes the feed wire for the PCM to corrod thus not powering up the PCM

This can sometimes impact other systems but most commonly no crank due to a power supply issue to the PCM

the corroded wire will be further down the loom in the Y joints

The wire may look visually ok but if you tug at it it will come away as the corrosion is inside the wiring

I have attached an image to show you the main suspected points

I always remove the plugs from the pcm and strip the loom backwards from the PCM plugs up into the Y joint of the engine loom

The immobilser system on Mondeo is very complex and involves 3 different modules that must communicate with each other

The abs module ,PCM/ECU and the BCMii

Most commonly it is a corroded power supply wire to the PCM that is affected

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a evening

Brian

Hi there good evening to you

How did you get on with the advice I gave you regarding your Immobilsor fault

Regards Brian