Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Matt. Have an 02 Polo TDi. Usually starts like a dream. Now

Customer Question

Hi Matt. Have an 02 Polo TDi. Usually starts like a dream. Now takes literally 60-90 seconds with the ignition key fully turned before it groans to life. It billows out thick black smoke when initially revved. Garage suggested injectors but the car is not worth investing that cost. Could it be ECU relay 109? Is that something I can replace myself? I barely know how to release the bonnet !! Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin are you saying its cranking engine for 60-90 seconds ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eventually it turns and all is good. Drives fine. Once it has started in the morning , I might drive 5 miles and park. After an hour, when I re-start, it still takes some time to turn but not as long as when first started.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok to be fair i would agree with garage it sounds like car is struggling to build enough fuel pressure to start .the blake smoke would indicate too much fuel and not enough air . Normally this is caused by a leaking injector .but they would need to be removed and tested to confirm this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.... but in view of the cost versus the value of the car, is it reasonable that it may be worth replacing the relay in the first instance or is that just a waste of time. The 'condition ' has seemed to come on suddenly......
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I think it is a waste of money to be honest the relay would give a non start thenn it would fire without smoke .the smoke is the part that indicates a physical fuelling issue rather than electrical

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But in view of the tale, sounds like injectors? What sort of money would you expect to pay for replacing in an 02 polo Deisel 1.4 TDi? Daft question....is ther 1 injector or 2?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

there will normally be 4 injectors do you know what engine code you have ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no idea..... can you find it via reg number? CA02AYV.........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry for delay you car has three cylinders so three injectors .the job time is 1.9 hrs to replace all three.the injectors are around the £250 mark each so an expensive job .id recommend having them removed and tested before replacing .please remember to rate my service

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please rate my service