UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a problem with my 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager XS

Customer Question
I am Ray, I...

I am Ray, I have a problem with my 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager XS Limited, I can be driving along the road perfectly normally but when I come to traffic lights or a road junction and the car is idling, the car stalls and won't start for sometime afterwards. I have changed the fuel pressure sensor and the camshaft sensor to no avail. Someone on the Internet has said that it could be the fuel heater plug. Any ideas?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
3/7/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

When this is happening, you need to immediately check fuel pressure with a gauge and spark at the plugs. This won't be easy, but you need to be ready for it with the tools in order for you to see what is missing when it won't restart.

Thanks, Ron

Sorry Ron,
I forgot to mention that the car has a diesel engine.
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The most common cause of the engine dying like you're having on these would be the crank sensor in my experience. I've seen a handful of crank sensor failures causing an intermittent dying problem, usually when hot.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

I have changed the crankshaft sensor and replaced it with a new one. There seems to be air getting into the fuel injection system.

How did you determine that?

Has anything else been done that was not mentioned?

I did some research on the Internet since I first contacted 'Just Answer' and apparently Chrysler Grand Voyagers have a problem with the cap on the fuel heater cracking causing air to get into the system, they also have a problem with the loom which attaches to the cap corroding and snapping off. Having read this, I contacted the RAC who confirmed that air indeed was getting into the system and there is corrosion and a dislocated wire leading to the cap. Do agree that this could be the cause of the problem?

I wasn't aware that a shop had confirmed there was air in the fuel system.

I've seen fuel filters rattle loose on this engine and the most common issue with the fuel heater is the element and connector melting enough to allow air to be drawn in. This will cause hard starting because of fuel drainback, and if you're able to get the engine started then it will cause low power, possibly dying, and will cause a fault code either for a high pressure fuel system leak or low rail pressure.

It wasn't a garage that confirmed it, it was the Royal Automobile Club they towed me when I broke down the last time that I used the car. So I had a diagnostic done on the car but it came up with two different causes. The fuel pressure sensor first and then the camshaft sensor. I replaced both but the problem still persisted so I started to look for a solution myself and after contacting the RAC again along with doing some research on the Internet, it seems that it can only be a problem connected to the fuel heater. The problem is, when I spoke to the main dealer they dispute that the problem lies with the fuel heater or the cap and have said that it is something to do with the glow plugs but everybody that I have spoken to say that they are wrong. Which is why I contacted you, to see if I can finally get a definitive answer before I spend any more money.

Glow plugs aren't going to cause the engine to die.

Noone has done any testing and actually confirmed a fuel system issue then?

No, the diagnostic didn't disclose any fault with air getting into the system but I have been told that the problem cannot always be detected by most diagnostic equipment. I got a lot of information from this website which accurately describes the problem with my car, (https://phatboyroy.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/chrysler-grand-voyager-engine-cutting-out-fuel-heater/). Having tried almost everything else I guess out of logic tinged with desperation, I am strongly leaning towards the problems mentioned on this website as very similar to mine.

If there is heat damage to the fuel heater and connector then they should be replaced, otherwise it's going to take testing at the time the problem is happening to be able to determine what is going on.

I understand what you say but as it happens so haphazardly and unpredictably, when we have called the RAC and they have tested it, nothing came up on their equipment which led them to the conclusion that it was air getting into the system. I think my only option now is to get the fuel heater and the fuel heater cap tested and see if the fault lies there. Another theory (and expensive one) is that the fault may lie in the loom coming from or leading to the fuel heater or the fuel heater cap.

An electrical issue with the fuel heater won't cause the engine to die.

If no visible problems can be seen with the fuel heater and connector then testing is going to need to be done at the time the problem is happening to determine exactly what is going on.

If that is the case then I guess that is what I will have to do, but you should take a look at the phatboyroy website because it seems that problems with the fuel heater cap and its wiring do cause problems similar to those that I am experiencing. But I will have it tested at the main dealer even though they are an extremely expensive alternative. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks very much for your help so far.

The fuel heater not working isn't going to cause the engine to die. The heater failing in the manner I mentioned can cause air ingestion if it fails and melts.