UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Alloy wheels on my 2008 land cruiser invincible are

Customer Question
dreadfully corroded. My wife did...
Alloy wheels on my 2008 land cruiser invincible are dreadfully corroded. My wife did ask Toyota about replacing but they said it was probably salt! Surely the wheels should not degrade like this on a 10k vehicle let alone a 50k vehicle. Should they replace?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I can send photos by phone if that helps. The vehicle was purchased new from Toyota and serviced by them.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2016
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately if you live in an area where there is salt in the air or on the roads this will cause the corrosion and damage to the wheels.I have seen several vehicles including my own do this and a dealer or manufacturer will not cover the costs for replacement.They recommend you wash the vehicle frequently in an area where there is salt to prevent this from occuring.I wish they would cover the costs but in my experience in the past with a few different manufacturers they didnt cover replacement.

You can try and contact Land Rover customer service to see if they can help in any way with the costs but they may so no as well unfortunately.I wish I had better news for you on this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete
Salt is used on roads throughout the UK as I am sure both you and Toyota (not sure why reference to Landrover?) are aware so why should this failure be considered acceptable or a failure on the part of the consumer. The vehicle was warranted on purchase from new and now has an extended mileage warrantee - I had a local Car Valeting company clean the car yesterday and it was suggested to me that Toyota should replace the wheels - I guess they do not often see such bad corrosion of the alloy - so I just thought I would investigate. Seems like I have a poor item as the front edge of the sunroof has corroded very badly also where it would appear that water has got under the seal - I think they told wife that this is also "not covered"!
Keith
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 2 years ago

I know they usually do not like to cover this under warranty and the build on your wheels may have been poor if it is extremely bad.The only thing you can try and do is to contact Land Rover customer support to see if they can get this covered under warranty.

They may want you to send them pictures but they may be able to help when the dealer says they cannot.I have seen customer service approve warranty before when a dealer will not.

This is about the only option on getting these covered here.

Thanks Pete